We just wanted to share one of our favorite, refreshing drinks for Spring, Summer, and especially winter – pineapple ginger- the ginger just gives that extra warming effect that is much appreciated especially during the winter time. It is our very own spin on a Jamaican favorite, pineapple ginger drink.
It freezes really well, so there it’s certainly the possibility of enjoying this refreshing drink all winter long. Or you can always opt for purchasing frozen fruits and bottled ginger paste to make this beverage when the ingredients are out of season.
So, give this pineapple ginger drink a try. It is not only refreshing, but provides a boost to your immune system, with an added benefit of clearing out your sinuses – definitely worth a try.
2 cups crushed pineapple (fresh or canned)
½ -¾ cup fresh ginger (minced or grated)
1 pinch grated nutmeg (optional)
3½ cups warm water
¼ cup passion fruit (optional)
¼ to ½ cup sugar
1. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil.
2. Add in some freshly grated ginger. Use about ¾ cup of ginger if you prefer a stronger ginger flavor. Then add a pinch of nutmeg.
3. Let steep for 2 to 3 hours and strain out ginger pulp, then set the ginger tea aside.
4. Now, blend crushed pineapple in ½ cup of water until pureed.
5. Strain out the pineapple pulp or if your blender does an excellent job pureeing fruits, (a high quality blender is awesome for that) then you can certainly keep the pineapple pulp in your beverage. We prefer it stained out.
6. Combine the cold ginger tea with the freshly made pineapple juice.
7. Add sugar to taste.
8. Taste and adjust sugar if needed.
9. If you are feeling like adding an extra tropical twist add a splash of passion fruit juice (up to ¼ of a cup of passionfruit juice).
10. Add in ice cubes or serve chilled for a cool refreshing beverage.