Here is a wonderful recipe from the continent of Africa, in particular, West Africa, Sierra Leone. This is a recipe for a beautiful side dish and snack we love to prepare and would like to share with all of our delightful readers out there.
Be sure to give it a try and share or post a comment below.
2.5 lbs steamed (herring) fish - deboned
1/4 cup Irish potatoes boiled & mashed (to make fish firm)
1 habanero pepper finely chopped
1/2 onion finely chopped
4-5 garlic cloves minced
1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
2 beaten eggs
3/4 - 1 cup planko bread crumbs or regular bread crumbs (optional)
2 - 3 cups vegetable oil
1. Debone your fish (almost any fish will do).
2. Seasoned fish to your taste with salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and onion powder.
3. Steam the fish for 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Break up your fish into small pieces.
5. Chop your onions and pepper and add to fish.
6. Mince your garlic and combine with fish mixture.
7. Place fish mixture in your processor and pulse until coarsely blended.
8. Place your fish mixture in a medium bowl.
9. And add in your mashed Irish potatoes to create a firmer base.
10. Add salt. And combine all ingredients well. Then roll into balls.
11. Beat the eggs and set aside (you can skip this step if you are choosing to not bread your fish balls).
12. Dip each ball into the beaten eggs (you can also skip this step if you are choosing to not bread your fish balls).
13. Set the fish balls aside on a tray until you have a full batch ready to be breaded.
14. Dip each fish ball into your bread crumbs.
15. In a medium Dutch oven, heat up your oil and get ready to fry those delicious fish snacks. (Tip: Heat up your oil while you bread the fish balls).
16. Fry until light to medium brown & surface of fish balls look dry.
17. Stir often with chopsticks to prevent burning. Don't use spoon so fish balls do not break apart.
18. Enjoy as a snack or get creative and make it into a sandwich.
Hope you enjoy this recipe.
Let us know what you think and be sure to give us your feedback in the comment section below.
For your ENJOYMENT ALWAYS!